Thursday, August 26, 2010

Days 1 & 2 of The Shred

I was so pumped up by my making official the commitment to do the The 30 Day Shred that I went home yesterday after work and completed the first day of workout before heading to church.... I learned several things about myself:
  1. Since I had to take pre-measurements and photos to determine if this really works, I was forced to look at the pictures and numbers.... I've been so excited about losing weight, I paid absolutely no attention to the fact that thinner does not equal non-squishy! I am down to college weight, but I am a far cry from college shape! Let's just throw the words muffin top and UADD ("under arm dingle dangle" as termed by my friend Anisa back in the day when it was just something that our grumpy old teachers had to worry about) out there... that should explain the trauma I had to work through before actually beginning the workout.
  2. There are several exercises wherein Jillian is adamant that correct form be used. So, I completed the workout in front of a full-length mirror. Since I was the only one at home at this time, and we turn our AC to high temps during the day trying to save on electricity, I decided it was ok to work out in a sports bra and running shorts. This was an eye-opening experience to say the least. Not only did I have terrible form initially on all the exercises, but there's a lot more jiggle to my wiggle than I actually knew about.... Needless to say, when I completed Day 2 this morning, I was fully clothed to save myself the embarassment.
  3. I have ZERO upper body strength! You would think carrying around a 30-something pound toddler everyday would leave me with some sort of respectable strength, but nope. I was able to complete 5 standard pushups before I gave into the modified (what I call "girly") pushups. I was only able to complete about 25 of those! Jillian, you have your work cut out for you!
  4. Soup cans do not make good weight substitutes... They are too big, and they don't weigh enough. It's not that they didn't give me more of a workout than I could actually handle. It's just that when I'm complaining about how sore I am and how tough the workouts are, and people ask me how much weight I'm using, I want to be able to say "5 lbs." or "10 lbs", not 18.6 fluid ounces of Bacon Potato.
  5. I hate squats.
  6. Working out at 4:50 pm last night and 4:50 am this morning were 2 completely different experiences!
So, last night at church, stairs were a little difficult and the handbells seemed about 5 lbs heavier than usual. This morning, I was able to make it upstairs to wake up Carter Lane, downstairs in heels was a little more difficult, but I made it. However, my upper body, especially my shoulders, are so sore. So, yeah, Level 1 with modified moves, and I'm halfway to a wreck - I'm out of shape!

We have Carter Lane's first real (not counting the Jamboree) football game for the season tonight against Starkville Academy. He says he's excited, but I see nerves. They have a bandit game (7th & 8th grade) beforehand, but he's supposed to get play in the JV game, and I think he's nervous about how much harder they hit in those games than in the bandit games. So, here's to hoping that he comes out of it with no broken bones or permanent damage... and, hey, maybe even a win :)

1 comments:

The Nichols Family

You are cracking me up with your posts. Good luck with the workout routine. Your after pictures look great, and just goes to show I haven't seen you in forever!

The boys are so big and handsome! You are doing a great job!