Friday, May 9, 2008

The Games People Play

I had to go to the local high school yesterday, and I was visiting with one of the principals and a couple of teachers. They were talking about playing the game "Ashley", at least that's what I thought they were saying. They asked me if I wanted to play, and they went to explaining the rules to me.

(WARNING: some bad words follow, but I will do the best to make them look as unoffensive as possible. This story was just too precious not to share).

Apparently, the game is all about strange names of students they have encountered through the years. I will put in caps the syllable that should be emphasized. First off, the name of the game was not "Ashley", it was As-SHO-le, named after one student a friend of the teacher's had taught. These were some of the names that followed:

"AB-sid-ee" spelled Abcde
SHI-thead
Sy-PHIL-lis
Nylon (Anisa and I actually went to school with her)

There were a few more, but I don't remember all of them right now. Just wondering if any of you have any names that I could use at the next playing of what I will from now on still spell "Ashley".